Monday, June 7, 2010

Adventures in Florida

I am alive!  We had the BEST vacation in the Keys- so relaxing, and so great to get away for a few days.  We went out in the boat, fished (great luck offshore), laid out by the pool, walked the seven mile bridge, ate great seafood, enjoyed family bonding, and rejoiced when Lash got into MUSC!!  It was so fun to hear that news while we were there.  It turned it into a true vacation and celebration!

I'll post some pics later. . . right now I just want to check in because I have totally been neglecting my blog lately.  For good reason.  Read on.

Last Saturday, Lash and I left the Keys one day early to spend the night in Stuart, FL with his family and break up the drive.  I had never met this family of his so I was really excited!  His cousins welcomed up with open arms on Saturday night into their gorgeous home.  By this point, we were totally over fish and looking for more of a landlover's meal so they whipped up a fabulous summer meal of ribs and corn on the cob that we ate on their patio at sunset overlooking the water.  We were having so much fun that they even convinced us to spend an extra day and night with them and go offshore fishing the next day.  It was such a great evening; I thought it was a perfect end to our vacation.

Until 1 a.m.

And from then until the next morning, I threw up more than I ever have. in. my. life.

I have NEVER been so sick.

Let me remind you, dear readers, that I had never met this family of Lash's before.   And we had agreed to go fishing with them the next day.  On a boat.  Being sick on a boat.   Without the comforts of a bed.  A house.  A private bathroom.  How miserable!

Or, my other alternative, I was already mortified thinking about--- I was going to have to explain "Dear Springs' relatives I've never met, thanks for letting me crash here but uhh, your meal gave me food poisioning.  Thanks a lot.  I'll be staying in bed today.  Have fun!!"  I was cringing over the embarrassment.  What would they say about this rude girlfriend??

But alas, I quickly discovered this ill- timed misery was not, in fact, food poisoning. . . No.  It was the throw up bug from Satan.

I didn't sleep a wink after 1 a.m., and in my misery, somehow crawled to Lash's room down the hall to wake him up and to tell him how miserable I was.  We weren't fishing in the morning.

Praise the Lord for He is good because He had a small miracle up his sleeves.  For who was to go fishing with the family the next day, but a great family friend and doctor!!  By this point, around 6:30 a.m., the whole house was up, and knew of my illness (Lets be honest, I probably woke them up by accident, but they were too kind to tell me otherwise).  I was so weak I could hardly get out of bed and literally wanted to die, I felt so awful.  But thankfully, Dr. Guardian Angel prescribed me with manna from heaven that stopped my nausea and vomiting, and put me to sleep.

We had to spend another night in Stuart, because I did not have half the strength to make the drive on Sunday.  I think I made it out of bed for the first time at 4 p.m. Sunday.  Thanks to my outstanding chauffeur, I was finally able to limp the remaining eight hours home on Monday, but it honestly has taken me a solid week to fully feel well again.  I would never wish that hell on anyone in my life.  

I cannot express enough gratitude for Lash taking such great care of me at pretty much my lowest lows physically.  He was an exceptional nurse- - - Refilling my ice and ginger ale, wetting a rag for my forehead, and being on time for my next dose of meds- all with a big smile, compassion, and a tender heart.  I'm so thankful he was there taking care of me.  I guess we got a little taste of loving someone "in sickness and in health."  haha :)  And I think its safe to say I made a pretty lasting impression on the cousins in Stuart, huh??

But now I'm back, finally feeling better.  I hope to do a blog on the Keys before the weekend, but my sister's 21st birthday is Wednesday and Thursday I'm leaving for New Orleans for a wedding extravaganza.  Loyal readers and faithful followers, don't leave me!  I promise I'll be back!  Summer slow down!!

No comments:

Post a Comment