Monday, September 29, 2014

Whole30 Week 2

Week 2 is in the books! This was an interesting one as I was traveling for work in Chicago 2 days.  I made sure to pack plenty of approved goodies (cashews, bananas, almond butter, larabars), but traveling/ eating out is not the easiest thing in the world when you are cutting out grains and dairy. I am happy to say I did not cheat on the diet portion but I did succumb to some vino... And it was worth every drop.

Here are the meals that made our rotation when I was home and in the kitchen.

On day 1, we gave this a B. However, my mother always said to make chili and spaghetti the day before you want eat it to make sure the flavors meld.  Sure enough, after begrudgingly opting for leftovers a few days later, it was delicious and I would definitely make again.  Just don't cook this at 6 to eat at 6:30!

Lemon Herb Salmon  
Same winner from last week's post and still so, so good. I roasted the green cauliflower and sauted the shredded Brussels in ghee.  Have you ever cooked with ghee? My verdict is still out. I feel like it has a really strong flavor to it that I'm not sure if I am crazy about.


Filet Friday
Prior to Whole30, Friday meant one thing- Pizza Friday.  It's the best tradition ever and one of the things I miss most. However, these filets (cooked in the cast iron skillet and finished in the oven) made up for it.  While Filet Friday does not have quite the ring to it that Pizza Friday does, it will have to do for now!! (P.S. Finishing the filets with rosemary -- thumbs up!)

Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti
No picture but this is another keeper.  Earth fare is having a great sale on grass - fed beef at 4.49/lb so a Sunday supper of spaghetti was in order. We served over roasted spaghetti squash with a kale salad.  With the dreary weather we have been having lately, a cozy comfort meal was excellent. 


Also not pictured and full disclosure - I made the worst meal of my life this week. I have been majorly into coconut lately so I attempted to make chicken with spices and shredded coconut.  It was a complete disaster. Usually if we don't like dishes, we can at least finish our plates.  This time, it could not go into the trash quick enough and I'm still gagging thinking about it. I guess you win some and lose some.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry the coconut dish didn't work out. I have attempted cooking with Ghee and I am with you, the taste is like a strong residue, a bit overpowering for me. Those steaks look fab.

    ReplyDelete