Monday, June 11, 2012

Single Lady Meals

We are nearing the countdown to the Board Exam- only 7 days to go!  This has been an interesting and challenging chapter of my life and our life together, and while I have handled it as best I know how, I am looking forward to it being behind us.


Truth is, I haven't posted any recipes or updates on our fabulous CSA box lately, because I have not been doing much cooking.  While it is no secret that I love to cook, what I have realized over the past 6 weeks is that I moreso love sharing a meal, and subsequently my cooking, with others.  Cooking to me is a way to express my creativity and while I can talk to myself or our dog about how much I love this pasta dish or this chicken breast, it's not like we can have a conversation about the flavor, components, texture, or what I should change if I cook it again. 

I grew up in a household where my mom, dad, sister, and I ate dinner together every night. This has honestly made a lasting impression on who I am today, and it is a tradition that I will uphold with my own family one day, someday.   During this intensive study time, Lash has been packing both lunch and dinner to take the library with him... it is quite the site to see him all loaded up every morning!

While at first I relished in having no (self-inflicted) pressure to cook a meal every night, my diet has been all over the place. Sometimes I have just veggies for dinner, sometimes cheese and crackers (and wine), sometimes whatever random leftovers or sushi place is on the way home from work.  It has led to some suprisingly wonky supper times around here... and a weight gain of all things!

I've tried to be more conscious of my solo decisions, and found the perfect balance tonight- quinoa and kale salad with toasted coconut with edamame and mushrooms sauteed with soy chile glaze - meatless (yet full of protein), affordable, yet tons of flavor.  I would totally recommend this as a light, and clean, meal.


I hope to get my inspiration back in the kitchen soon.  I think I will.  Just needed a siesta.

P.S. I do not want to harp on or acknowledge the negatively and criticism surrounding my decision to post about my life being married to a medical student. I do, however, want to set the record straight:  I am not bragging about my husband, the fact that he is in medical school, nor my life in the passenger seat to his studies.  It is a significant part of my existence and shapes who I am, and if you read it otherwise, you clearly do not know me.  I am humbled, blessed beyond measure, and do not take it forgranted in the slightest.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Loyal,
    I just came across your blog because I am a native of Beaufort myself. My husband, Jack, has been a doctor for almost 20 years. When he starred Duke med, one of the "seasoned" wives gave me the best advice. She told me humility goes a long way. It may have not been your intention to cone across as boastful, but obviously someone saw it differently. Too bad, but you have to consider this is a public forum, and people may not understand your situation. You can keep writing what you like, it is your blog after all. I know you are proud and want to share, but you may consider how you do it. I have been there, but when you put it out there, you have to be prepared for people to see things differently.
    Take care. I love DeBordieu. We live for the good part of the summer there.
    PDV

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot agree more with what PDV says. People judge, make comments that hurt, put and put you on the defensive. Blogging is such a great outlet fir sharing, but it seems when someone comments in a way the writer dies not like, the justifications begin. It does hurt to hear things that you had not intended them to be, but people are indeed entitled to their opinions. They may be pointing out things that a lot of people feel. It does not mean they don't like to read what you write.
    C'est la vie!
    GLF
    Pawley's Island, SC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot agree more with what PDV says. People judge, make comments that hurt, put and put you on the defensive. Blogging is such a great outlet fir sharing, but it seems when someone comments in a way the writer dies not like, the justifications begin. It does hurt to hear things that you had not intended them to be, but people are indeed entitled to their opinions. They may be pointing out things that a lot of people feel. It does not mean they don't like to read what you write.
    C'est la vie!
    GLF
    Pawley's Island, SC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a little worried that someone will think that of my blog - I try to not mention things about James' job since not a lot of law students are paid (with the economy as it is) so a lot are working for free (experience is experience though!) So I know we are lucky to have his part time income coming in. I feel like we all have to walk that fine line and it is very frustrating. I am proud he was able to get a job (and a paid one at that!) but it needs to be kept hush hush in order for no one to be offended or think that I am bragging (I am not, just happy to have some help with groceries, the cable bill and a date night!). Keep writing! I love reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep on writing. I've been waiting for the day I get a negative comment. I blog for ME and I know you do the same- like we've talked about, blogging is such a great outlet. If people don't like it, they should quit reading. So jealous of your weekend at DeBordieu! Ahh, I would love the beach right now! Coming to Charleston in 2 weeks and I couldn't be more excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog and I hope you continue to write regardless of naysayers. The fact is I came looking for exactly something like this because I wanted to find a commonality..is anyone out there going through what I am? Of course it's great to learn about all different kinds of experiences too. Blogs are a great way to do this and I really appreciate your courage to write the way you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, someone said you are bragging? I love reading your blog, and do not see bragging at all. Most importantly, I nor anyone else, will want the school loans you are both left with once your husband finishes! I thank you and your husband for being so selfless and wanting to be in a profession most of us would never dare touch.
    Jane-Charleston, SC

    ReplyDelete