Saturday, May 5, 2012

CSA Week 3


I'm a little late posting this, but this week's CSA box from Gruber Farms has been my favorite to date.  Look how beautiful and vibrant it is!

Included was:
  • swiss chard
  • collards
  • zucchini
  • squash
  • spring onions
  • strawberries
  • new potatoes

I'm a big believer that being in a relationship does wonders on your culinary palate.  Before me, Lash would hardly touch brussel sprouts or sushi with a ten foot pole, and I wouldn't dare dream of collards and peppers.  My, how things have changed!

With our first allotment of collards from week one, Lash called his grandmother and got her oldy-but-goody collard recipes.  We devoured them, but this time I had another variation on my mind.  On the Thursday night before her wedding, Anna's parents had a "welcome to Charleston" party and catered the meal by Slightly North of Broad.  Their braised collards with caramelized onions were literally the best collards I had ever tasted.  I even asked Anna's mom for a to- go bag so I could take some home to Lash to try.

So, this week, I recreated them the best I could... and let me tell you, they did not disappoint!  If you like collards, or are wondering what in the world to do with them from your box, try these!


Braised Collards with Caramelized Onions

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon EVOO
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 piece bacon, chopped (optional)
2-3 lbs collards greens, washed, stems removed, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups chicken stock (I made my own! Post coming soon)

1/2 teaspoon roasted red pepper flats
1/2 tablespoon salt  (Approximate, they take more than you would think)

  • In a large dutch oven or pot, melt butter and evoo over medium heat.  Saute onions for 15 minutes until begin to caramelize and brown.  
  • Add the bacon (if using), and cook for 2 minutes until browned slightly.  Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
  • Add the greens, stock, salt, red pepper flakes and cover.  Let cook for about 30-40 minutes over medium- low heat until greens reach desired tenderness, stirring occasionally. 
Notes:  It seems like 2-3 lbs of collards is a lot, but the greens really shrink down while cooking.  You may have to adjust the salt content depending on how many greens you prepare.  I threw the bacon in there on a whim in an attempt to clean out the fridge... if it isn't your thing, I think you would be totally fine to leave it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment