Tuesday, April 17, 2012

CSA Week 1

My CSA weekly box from Gruber Farms started today!!  I was literally giddy with excitement all weekend anticipating picking it up, and could not wait to see what it included!


The first box included (from left to right):
  • kale
  • pint of strawberries
  • parsnip
  • collards
  • radishes
  • peas
  • lettuce
  • sweet onions
So cool!! All beautiful, fresh, and local, right out of St. George, SC.   I can't wait to try new veggies and new recipes.  I have to admit I've never done a thing with radishes or sweet onions so bring it on!

I have, however, eaten my body weight in kale chips lately, and wanted to try something new tonight to switch it up.  I stumbled across a few sauteed kale recipes and tweaked to my (asian obsessed) taste buds.  It was delicious!!


Sesame Kale with Garlic and Ginger

- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger 
- 1 large bunch kale, washed, leaves removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon water, chicken or veggie stock
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- dash of roasted red peppers flakes

Heat sesame oil over medium heat, saute garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 mins. 
Add kale (in batches like you would spinach) and saute for about 2 minutes.
Add water or stock, cover, and steam until kale wilts but is still slightly crunchy.
Finish with toasted sesame seeds, soy sauce, and roasted red pepper flakes.

1 comment:

  1. haha, to your asian obsessed taste buds. love that. i was soooo excited all day to pick mine up too! this is going to be so fun!

    ReplyDelete