Sunday, September 18, 2011

Nana's Chess Pie

Thanks for all of your kind words regarding my previous post. I really do not like to use this blog to vent, but last week was completely bizarre and I am so happy to put it behind me and move on :)

My man is in lockdown mode with his first medical school test this Friday.  While I don't expect to see him too much this week, I do want him to come home to a fully stocked fridge and comfortable, welcoming environment.

One of the things that Lash loves is a bite of something sweet at night.  I do not have a sweet tooth so I take the easy way out and always have some kind of ice cream in the fridge for him.  To make a little something special for this week, this weekend I bake him a chess pie.  Chess Pies are a very Southern, old timey dessert, and this recipe is my grandmother's.  I hope you enjoy.  It was so easy!


Nana's Chess Pie

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon flour
2 eggs, unbeaten
1/2 egg shell milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter melted
1 pie shell

Mix sugars and flour in a large bowl.
Add eggs and milk, only mix with a beat.  Do not beat.
Add vanilla and butter.

Bake 325' in unbaked pie shell for 30- 35 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this! The 1/2 egg shell milk is such an old fashioned measure. I love it! I've made chess bars before and I'm sure this pie will be equally decadent. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete