Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Wednesday I'm NOT Loving

Today was one of those days...  One of those days when you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, and all day long you wish you had a reset button.

I didn't sleep well, woke up late, and rushed to work.  Since I always eat breakfast at my desk, the only thing I really have to do in the morning is shower and get dressed.  Because of that routine, it typically is not a problem grabbing a few more z's; however, this morning the sheets were extra cozy, and Lash all but had to kick me out of the house to work.

As some of you newish readers may not know, I work in the service department of an insurance company here in Charleston.  To say the least, service is an interesting, and very exciting, department.  I stumbled into the field, and had no idea how much I would actually enjoy it.  There is a constant strive for excellence, professional, and efficiency.  Every day, every email, and every call is different.  When the phone rings, you never know what you are going to get- praise, complaints, confusion, updates, we see it all, and I love it- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Unfortunately, by 9:30 am (i mean come on, I was just finishing my coffee!!), I received a rotten phone call... the most rotten call of my career.  And it completely unglued me for the rest of the day.  The 20 minute call, quite lengthy compared to our 3 minute average, left me questioning my professional approach and response.  It was a completely bizarre situation- maybe even a one in a million situation- and though I handled it with more- than- necessary class and much tact, I spent the entire day reliving it and thinking what I should have done differently.  

Afterwards, I never feel like I got my feet planted firmly on the ground.  Meetings and conferences calls consumed my afternoon and I felt completely unaccomplished by the time 5:00 rolled around.  In a department driven by productivity and service, the day was humbling.

Once I finally got home and kicked off my heels, Lash and I had an event tonight to attend.  While I welcomed the opportunity to get together with people we don't know very well, I struggled to put on my game face given the day's challenges.  It's hard to put your best foot out there when you don't feel 100%.  I'm glad we went, but boy I'm ready to put this day behind me.

At least we're over the hump, right?  TGI(almost the day before)F!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a new reader, so don't know much about you yet - but felt awful for you reading this post. Nothing seems worse when you have a day like that, a day that makes you question everything you do. It is Friday now, so I am hoping your week picked up a bit! All the best, darlin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you had to deal with that caller, especially so early! I've been there before and it is not fun at all. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete