Thursday, April 26, 2012

Kale "Salad"

Yesterday was the definition of a fat day... one with no exercise, 3 cocktails, and both lunch and dinner out that were heavy meals at Sesame and Two Boroughs Larder. 

It's safe to say I have felt like a complete beached whale since, and today has been a detox day.  I'm chugging water by the liters, and focusing on plain greek yogurt with berries for breakfast, a light salad for lunch, and veggies and protein for dinner. 

Thank goodness for my CSA box.   Its no secret I love kale... cooked, sauteed, roasted, or in chips- bring it.  Raw? Blahhhh. Can't do it. I want so bad to like this kale salad from Eat, Live, Run, but I feel like I am eating a garnish when I bite into kale raw.

This kale "salad" was a mistake.  I tried to make the above, but literally had to spit out the raw kale.  I quickly sauteed it like spinach and as soon as it started browning, I knew I had hit the jackpot.  I hope you try it.  I loved it, and will be making it again tomorrow!

 
Kale "Salad"

Note: measurements are approximate, because like I said, this salad came about randomly and completely unplanned.  I suggest just using your gut on the porportionality of ingredients if you decide to recreate this.

kale leaves from 4 stalks, torn from stems and into bite size pieces
1/4 c cooked shelled edamame
1/4 c snow peas, ends pulled off and blanched for 1 min in boiling water
1/2 T sweet chili sauce (such as one from the Ginger People- which is the bomb by the way)
splash of soy sauce
drizzle of sriacha
toasted sliced almonds

Heat a large saute pan over med- high heat and spray generously with cooking spray.  Add kale and let it brown and wilt like spinach, stirring often, about 5 mins.

Heat a second pan with cooking spray over med heat, and toss edamame and snow peas.  Add sweet chili sauce, splash of soy, and a drizzle of sriacha.

Combine kale and veggies on serving plant, top with toasted almonds.

1 comment:

  1. I was really scared to try kale salad, too, but luckily the first recipe I tried, I LOVED. If you're brave enough to try it again, try this one!!
    http://designerbagsanddirtydiapers.blogspot.com/2011/11/tuscan-kale-salad.html

    ReplyDelete