Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Shred

I am just wrapping up week two of Jillian Michael's The Shred, and I LOVE it.  Y'all, if you need a good workout regime to follow, this comes highly recommend.

Her workout DVD is only 20 minutes long.  20 minutes!  If it was any longer, I can promise you I would never do it and it would stay wrapped in that pretty plastic base.  But, it is so easy to find 20 minutes to squeeze into your day.

The video has three levels, and while each level increases the intensity and challenge, it sticks to 3 basic circuits of: 3 minutes of strength training, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs.  All you need is hand weights and a mat!  However, don't get me wrong.  The 20 minutes is INTENSE. You don't stop moving the entire time.

I'm happy to report I've seen some positive results, too!  I feel great, my clothes are fitting better, and getting on the scales isn't so painful anymore.  I've lost three pounds in two weeks, which I think is a pretty reasonable and healthy weight loss. . . especially considering that last weekend, I threw all dieting rules out the window when I got together with great friends from college.  Let me tell you, too much beer Friday night led to a hangover bacon, egg, and cheese bagel hangover breakfast Saturday, and for some reason I didn't look back from that unhealthy binge all week.  Needless to say, I had to reevaluate my goals on Sunday when I got home. hehe:)

I will say, however, that I have not been following Jillian's "diet" plan because it sounds disgusting. And unreasonable.  Her weekly meal plan (besides the aforementioned salmon-- side note, thanks for the recipe ideas!!) include unusual items like curried swordfish and lamb kebobs.  First, while that buying fresh produce and other healthy items can be more expensive that say, gushers, I don't think that it should have to break the bank.  Case in point, though I like lamb, I am NOT buying it weekly.  And second, I'm an admitted food snob, but I still believe that it is a reasonable expectation that healthy food should and can taste good!

I don't think "dieting" should mean eating strange foods or depriving oneself of great tastes.

So I've just kind of been making up my own plan. . . using Cooking Light recipes or recipes from a great book by Ann Kulze called "Dr. Ann's 10- Step Diet"  It's all about your own personal wellness, and why you should eat certain foods and avoid others.  My plan is simple, realistic, and flexible. . . and I think when you are trying to cut back a few LBS, you gotta do what works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment