Monday, May 10, 2010

Cooking Light, You Win Again!

Have you SEEN this month's Cooking Light?

It is a winner!!  Do yourself a favor and go buy it right now.

This month spotlights Homemade Pizza (yum!), Risotto (yum!), spring vegetables (yum!) and this Rosemary Lemon Chicken breasts recipe below (yum!).  I began tearing out recipes to store in my recipe binder, but quickly realized I was tearing out about every single page!  So I stopped, and have saved the mag for future reference.

This recipe is so easy, explodes in flavor, and is only 230 calories per serving! What is not to love?!?

Photo Borrow from CL Website :)

Lemon- Rosemary Chicken Breasts

Ingredients:
salt
pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons EVOO
4 (8-ounce) bone- in chicken breast halves, skinned (I used boneless)
1 1/2 cups fat- free, less- sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 rosemary sprig

Directions:
- Preheat oven 375.
- Heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Sprinkle chicken with S&P and cook 3 minutes on each side.  Place chicken in 9X13 baking dish.  Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.  Cover and let rest 10-15 minutes. (I only let mine rest for 5 minutes- I was hungry :) )
- Heat skillet over medium high heat.  Add broth, juice, and rosemary sprig.  Bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until broth mixture measures 1/3 cup.  Discard rosemary sprig; salt and pepper to taste.  Serve atop chicken.

Though I'm sure it is great as is, I made a few changes to CL's recipe.  I zested a lemon and put the zest in the broth as it reduced.  After I squeezed the lemon's juice out for the broth, I cut up the lemon and made the slices a "bed" for the chicken to sit on while it baked in the oven.  That way I really maximined all the lemony flavor I could. . . with little to no caloric addition.  To be "healthy," y'all it was good!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious. Cooking Light really is the best!

    ReplyDelete