Sunday, December 5, 2010

Roasted Broccoli

My five and six year old self would be horrified to think years later I'd devote an entire blog post to broccoli.

But let me tell you- this is my favorite way to cook broccoli.  Ever.

Beware, the below is not mind-blogging regarding technique or ingredients used. It is a simple, everyday go to way to deliciously get some greens on your plate.  The basic premise involves roasting the florets at a high temperature until they caramelize.

This inspiration of this recipe comes from one of my foodie favs- Ina Garten.  In all of her dishes, I think Mrs. Barefoot Contessa manages to capture the perfect combination of the simple yet the sophisticated, and maximize flavors in a way that are both ingenuous and incredibly replicable.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Roasted Broccoli


Ingredients: EVOO, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt

Preheat oven to 425.  Drizzle a light touch of EVOO on broccoli, a splash of lemon juice, and a shake of both red pepper flakes and salt.

Roast in the oven 20 to 25 minutes until crisp- tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.  I always shake the pan around a bit as it cooks, but I'm not sure if that is necessary or not.

After 20- 25 minutes, you can either eat it at that point as I most often do, or fancy it up a little bit by zesting a lemon over the broccoli, adding some freshly graduated parmesan cheese, and/ or toasted pine nuts, and putting back in the oven for a few.

You will go ga-ga over this broccoli.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment