Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer Tomato Pie and Sweet and Sour Crunch

The perfect summer meal!

Sweet and Sour Crunch

I've been meaning to share this recipe for the longest time because I make this slaw literally twice a week.  . . I just never remembered to take pictures of the process until tonight!  This recipe is so easy to make and is a great accompaniment to many entrees.  You can mix it up a little bit by using Napa cabbage or Romaine lettuce, adding sliced green onions for an extra burst of flavor, or chopping up grilled chicken over for a complete meal.  I hope you enjoy it as much I as I do!

Toast broken up 1/2 package ramen noodles, 1/2 c. slivered almonds, and 2-3 tbsp sesame seeds until golden brown.

Combine dressing ingredients: 3/4 c. cooking oil, 1/2 c. sugar, 1/4 c. red wine vinegar, and 2 tbsp soy sauce.   {I love homemade dressings.  Note: you do not need to use all of it in the portions outlined here; it makes a lot!}

Toss with 1/2 bag of your favorite slaw and serve!  Serves 2 big portions or 3-4 smaller ones.

Also on tonight's menu . . .

Summer Tomato Pie

A tomato pie is one treat I look forward to all summer.  With fresh, local tomatoes all around, it screams summer at its finest.  Be sure to squeeze as much water out of the tomatoes as you possibly can to prevent a runny mess! 

I peeled and sliced 5 beefsteak tomatoes and drained on paper towels (blotting with more paper towels) while I diced 1/2 of a yellow onion and minced about 3 tbsp fresh basil leaves.  Once everything was chopped and the pie crust pre-baked, I layered 1/2 of the tomatoes, onions, basil, and then the remaing 1/2 of the tomatoes.  No pictures to show- my hands and kitchen were a wreck!  Then I grated about 6 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese and combined it with a small handful of parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup mayo, and salt and paper.  Spread atop final layer and viola!  Your tomato pie is ready for the oven.


Bake at 400 degree for 25-30 minutes.

If you're like me, and like extra golden brown/ crunchy cheese, you can broil on high for a few minutes until your pie reaches perfection. . . But as always with broiling, don't lose sight of the oven.  Things can go downhill fast!

Bon Appetite!

2 comments:

  1. So funny - my mom makes this slaw that everyone raves for when we would go to get-togethers and parties. They would always request her to bring it. Well, my husband and I had a party to go to this past weekend and I wanted to make her slaw, so I called her for the recipe. Same exact recipe as yours (except she puts the chicken packet from the ramen in the sauce, instead of soy sauce)! So good! I love the crunch - but it's no good if the noodles get soggy!

    And the tomato pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This slaw sounds delicious! I'm going to the grocery tonight and plan to pick up everything needed to make it this week! As for the tomato pie- YUM! Have you had the one from Lowcountry Produce? It is soooo good!

    ReplyDelete