Sunday, November 14, 2010

Date Night Pasta

So, last week kicked my fanny.  This past Friday night all I wanted was some TLC and a relaxing date night with Lash.  Once we decided to cook-in, I knew I just had to make this recipe. It is one of our favorites.

The inspiration for this dish came from a recipe I saw in Real Simple magazine, but I've certainly adapted it from their original. Their's called for sage and did not include bacon or shallots.  I don't particularly care for sage so I leave it out.  Also, since I'm trying to please my south gentleman, I do like to add the bacon and a shallot to give the dish some heartiness and complexity.  It is such a hit around our table, I hope your house will enjoy it as much as we do.

Date Night Pasta with Asparagus, Bacon, and Peas

Begin by cooking three slices of bacon.


While the bacon is sizzling away, take advantage of the time and prep everything else you need!  Chop a pound of thick asparagus into 1" pieces, dice a shallot (or onion if you prefer), and cook your pasta according to package directions.  I use fettucini noodles, but any will do!


Assemble the additional cast of characters required.  See, nothing too funky or crazy!  This is a great meal that you may be able to just throw together out of your pantry {and is not very expensive to make}!


Once your bacon is finished, set aside to cool and let it drain on a lovely bed of paper towels.  Crumble it into little pieces to throw on top of your plate for presentation.  


In the left-over bacon grease {note: remove some of the grease if there is a lot in the pan, you need probably a tablespoon or two}, saute the asparagus, shallot, and garlic for three minutes over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally.  Don't worry about cooking the asparagus all the way because you will do so in the proceeding step.


Add 2 cups of chicken stock to the pan and boil over high heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.  {You are essentially blanching the asparagus now}


Add 1 cup of frozen peas {I forgot to take a picture of the peas. Poor peas.} and 1/4 cup heavy cream to the skillet.  I substitute half and half, because it's what I had in the fridge.  And I'm making a more conscious health decision. . . right? . . .


Boil until the sauce has thickened, about 3 minutes.


Stir in the fettucini to heat through.  Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoon of butter, 1/2 cup grated parmigiana-reggiano cheese, and seasonings to taste.


I also sauteed some chicken to please the carnivore in our relationship. This dish would also be great with sauteed shrimp or even better, scallops!

Viola!  Supper is served!   And look how beautiful it looks in the pan.  Are you drooling?


Indeed, this delicious supper and relaxing Friday night totally made up for my absolutely killer week last week.  I love a night in!  

Before my handsome date arrived, I had the best time dancing around the house, cleaning up, setting the table, snapping pictures, and getting ready.  


After we ate, we sat around the table until almost 10:00, catching up on our days and enjoying being together.

We tasted the wine that is going to be served at our rehearsal dinner. 


. . . and then watched three episodes of Modern Family in sweat pants.

Ahh. 

Bliss.

1 comment:

  1. You must be a Pioneer Woman fan. :) Good job documenting your meal creation. :)

    ReplyDelete