Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Recap and Recipes

Can you believe Thanksgiving has come and gone ,and we are now in Advent?  2010 is flying by!

We had a great Thanksgiving at my grandmother's, and it was so nice to get out of town for a few days.  In light of some recent happenings,  I was ready for some TLC and quiet time with the fam.

Unfortunately, my blog has taken a terrible back seat over the holiday hustle and bustle.  My grandmother does have a computer at her home that is installed with the latest and greatest edition of Windows 95 so in order to surf the world wide web, you have to be willing to sit for decades for a page to load. She recently got a wireless hook up but after the techie installed it, she unfortunately forgot the password.   Armed with our laptops in tow, my sister and I unsuccessfully attempted every common and/or logical password to break the code, but alas, we gave into a few days of computer silence.  Sometimes, getting a break from reality is a nice change, though.

Back to the holidays. . .  do you feel like you have been eating for the past five days like I do?  Wow, it was all so great though.  My favorite Thanksgiving dishes are tied between an oyster pie and my mom's balsamic gravy that is out of this world- I need to post these recipes at some point.  And, I admit, I love the canned cranberry sauce.  Yes, canned cranberry sauce.  I know. . .

The biggest come- from- left- field- and- hit- a- home- run recipe with our fam? Paula Dean's Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Bars.  Luci was so excited about making them, she probably talked about it for two weeks.  It was all I could do to say "uh-huh" and "sounds good Luc" when we were talking.  I'm not crazy about pumpkins, much less Ooey Gooey Pumpkin? Gross.com.  Nevertheless, she was right, and they are amazing. You definitely will want to file that recipe away for your Fall 2011 holiday menus. They are awesome.

This week, I really should be sticking to a combo of celery and water, but let's be honest, that's not happening!   Last night before Monday's reality struck, I fixed one more 'comfort food' supper for Lash of the PW's meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  I am not a meatloaf fan, but was tempted by the PW's claim along the lines that "this meatloaf will convert the non-meatloaf lovers."  I didn't hate it, but I also wasn't converted.  Her mashed potatoes {mashed, of course, with butter, cream cheese, and half and half} were, obviously, incredible.

I hope you had a wonderful holiday and an easy Monday transition back into the swing of things.  I hope to be back more often this week with fun recipes and stories to share.  Enjoy then, 'tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment